Alcoholic Beverage Control: Applications to Sell Alcohol

View the Most Recent Applications and Correspondence

More Information About the Process Below, link to next section

Additional Information about the ABC Licensing Process


The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) is the California-run agency that oversees the licensing of alcohol sales and service for restaurants, bars, hotels, retail stores, caterers and special events. Link to the California Department of ABC.


Any person may protest the issuance of a license by filing a written request with ABC. There are numerous reasons why people protest such licenses, including:


  • The premises are not suitable (too close to a school, house of worship, playground, nonprofit youth facility or residence that would be disturbed).

  • The premises are in a high-crime area.

  • Selling and/or serving alcohol in this location would create a public nuisance.

  • Applicant is not qualified. (Either the application has been falsified, applicant has a disqualifying police record, is not a true owner or is not at least 21 years old).  


Written protests must be filed within 30 days of:


  • The first date of posting the premises with the notice of intention to sell alcoholic beverages.

  • The first date of posting the premises with the notice of application for ownership change.

  • The date of mailing the notice of application to residents within 500 feet of the proposed premises.