LOS ANGELES – City Attorney Mike Feuer announced that Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Chalfant has denied a request for a temporary restraining order to delay enforcement of the City’s ban on the possession of large capacity magazines (LCMs), allowing for its enforcement starting next Thursday.
“This is a victory for common sense gun violence prevention laws,” said Feuer. “The use of these magazines has so often led to tragedy. This law will help prevent those horrible events in the future.”
The LCM ban, authored by Councilmember Paul Krekorian, and passed by the Council in July prohibits the possession of a magazine capable of accepting more than ten.
"Preventing gun violence is one of my top priorities as Chief and I appreciate City Attorney Feuer's ongoing efforts on this issue,” said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck.
“The City Council banned the possession of large-capacity magazines to give law enforcement another tool to keep people safe and get these dangerous devices off the streets, said City Councilmember Paul Krekorian, author of the law. “Starting next week, Los Angeles will start enforcing and upholding the ban. I urge anyone currently in possession of these illegal magazines to turn them in at an LAPD station before enforcement begins."
The City was sued last month in an attempt to strike down the City’s LCM ban, a trial is set for April 14th.