LOS ANGELES – City Attorney Mike Feuer today announced that his office has filed 29 criminal counts against a North Hollywood man for allegedly illegally possessing an unsecured arsenal of weapons, ammunition and high capacity magazines. He allegedly was prohibited from owning firearms due to a criminal protective order in a pending domestic violence case.
"There is a powerful link between domestic abuse and gun violence," said Feuer. "In this case, we allege the defendant—prohibited from possessing even a single gun due to a pending domestic violence case--had a massive stockpile of more than two dozen unsecured weapons and 2,000 rounds of ammunition. Imagine this arsenal next door to you and your family, in the hands of someone under a criminal protective order. My office will continue working closely with law enforcement partners to keep guns away from people who are prohibited from possessing them."
"Public safety is our number one priority, and we are committed to cracking down on illegal possession of firearms," said Attorney General Becerra. "The California Department of Justice and our special agents make every effort to ensure that guns stay out of the wrong hands. Mark Morman is now the subject of prosecution involving his alleged criminal possession of firearms. In partnership with the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office, we now hand this case over to them for prosecution. It is thanks to the bravery of our agents that our communities and neighborhoods are safer."
"Our State Attorney General and the City Attorney are showing why Los Angeles is a national leader in gun violence prevention," said Councilmember Paul Krekorian, District 2, which includes North Hollywood. "Their vigorous enforcement of our gun safety laws is protecting residents in my district and keeping neighborhoods throughout the city safe. Cases like this are exactly why I led the City Council to mandate locking and safely storing firearms at home. We want to give law enforcement the tools to keep firearms out of the hands of prohibited people and inaccessible to those who may use them to do harm."
Mark Morman, 55, was charged with 29 criminal counts including: 25 counts of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person due to a criminal protective order; possession of ammunition by a prohibited person; importation of a large capacity magazine; unlawful storage of a firearm; and resisting or delaying an investigation.
The case is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing on February 27, 2018, in Department 121 of Van Nuys Superior Court.
On September 29, 2017, Morman was served with a criminal protective order following a domestic violence charge in Burbank, requiring him to surrender his guns. In January, 2018, special agents with the California Department of Justice went to Morman’s North Hollywood home to inquire about two California registered firearms that had not been relinquished. During that search agents recovered 25 firearms, including seven rifles and 18 handguns, throughout the home. They also recovered over 2,000 rounds of ammunition and 44 miscellaneous caliber ammunition magazines, including 18 large capacity magazines.
It is alleged that none of the weapons found were locked or secured and only two had been registered in California.
Deputy City Attorney Margarita Barron is prosecuting the case.