LOS ANGELES – City Attorney Mike Feuer today announced that his office has filed four criminal cases as part of a coordinated effort between his office, the Los Angeles Fire Department, Port Police and the Department of Street Services to crack down on suppliers of illegal and dangerous fireworks. Beginning last week three downtown inspections in the Toy District and Chinatown have resulted in the confiscation of more than 1,000 pounds of illegal and dangerous fireworks.
“Illegal fireworks pose a serious safety risk and a significant fire danger,” said City Attorney Feuer. “We are taking aggressive action to stem the flow of these dangerous and illegal fireworks in our neighborhoods.”
"All fireworks are illegal in the City of Los Angeles and the LAFD works closely with our partners in law enforcement and the City Attorney's office to keep them off the streets," said Interim Los Angeles Fire Chief James Featherstone. "I encourage all Angelenos to have a safe and fun Independence Day and to take their family to one of the many professional fireworks shows offered throughout the area."
Defendant Minh Nhut Lieu, 42, was charged with one count of possession of dangerous fireworks and two counts of sale of illegal fireworks after inspectors confiscated more than 580 pounds of fireworks from his store, New Great Wall. If convicted, Lieu faces up to one year in jail and $21,000 in fines.
Defendants Antelmo Garcia-Gurrero, 46, and Gregorio Del Carmen Lopez, 41, were each charged with one count of possession of dangerous fireworks and two counts of sale of illegal fireworks and could face one year in jail and in excess of $3,000 in penalties.
Defendant Lim Woo Sung, 55, was also charged with one count of sale of fireworks in Los Angeles and could face up so six months in jail and $1,000 in fines. Arraignment for all defendants is scheduled for August 12, 2014.
Assistant City Attorney Patricia Bilgin and Deputy City Attorney Elise Ruden of the Environmental Protection and Justice Unit are prosecuting the cases.